Balance blood sugar to improve energy and sleep
- Reduce added sugar: this may appear as Table sugar, Sucrose, Invert Sugar, Glucose, Lactose, Glucose syrup, Brown sugar, Fructose, Corn syrup, Dextrose, Maltose, Treacle, Cane sugar, Barley malt, Beet sugar, Malt syrup, Maltodextrin, Molasses, Organic sugar, Raw sugar, Agave syrup, Honey, Fruit juice concentrate, Maple/Golden Syrup, Brown rice syrup, Evaporated cane juice, High fructose corn syrup (do not replace with artificial sweeteners)
- Reduce refined carbohydrates such as white breads, white pasta, white rice, cakes, biscuits, sugar-loaded cereals, sweets, baked goods
- Change white versions of pasta, rice, bread to brown/wholemeal
- Avoid sweetened or artificially sweetnened soft drinks, sweet powdered drink mixes, juice-flavoured drinks
- Don’t miss meals – try to have something small if you don’t feel too much like eating.
- Include a small amount of protein with every meal, snack: fish, nuts, seeds, lean meats, small organic dairy, pulses/legumes.
by Kate Delmar-Morgan registered nutritionalist,